Gas powered tankless water heaters save an average of $108 in energy costs per year over tank style water heaters, and electric tankless water heaters save an average of $44 per year. We know that everyone is looking for great, convenient places to cut expenses and become more efficient, so today we wanted to talk about the benefits of the tankless water heater.
The price range for tankless water heaters is roughly $1,000 to $3,000 depending on the model and the size. At an average energy savings of $108 per year, your $1,000 gas powered water heater would pay for itself in about 10 years. This is a pretty nice return if you plan to stay in your current home for 20-30 years.
A tankless water heater is very small compared to the large tank models because there’s no water storage and the unit doesn’t have to work hard to keep water at a steady temperature. Most effective tank style water heaters hold at least 20 gallons of water, and some hold 50 gallons. Think about the amount of energy it takes to maintain the temperature of 50 gallons of water.
Benefits of Tankless Water Heaters
- Tankless water heaters are hot water on demand. As a society, we are accustomed to having things right now when we want them. Tankless water heaters provide that.
- Tankless water heaters last more than 20 years, which is about half the lifespan of storage style water heaters.
- Installation is fairly simple and often included in the sales price when you buy from a dealer.
- Tank style water heaters wear out quickly and then become rusty clumps in the local landfill.
- Natural gas powered tankless water heaters are roughly 23% more effective than the traditional storage tank version.
- Tankless water heaters may qualify for a $300 federal tax rebate, which takes the sting out of the initial purchase and installation price.
The decision to go tankless is entirely up to each individual homeowner because every homeowner’s needs are unique. The type and size of water heater you choose depends entirely on your individual needs. If you have several people showering every morning to get ready for school and work, for example, and you need a schedule to prevent someone taking a cold shower, you may benefit greatly from a tankless water heater.
Give Kizen Plumbing a call at 310-644-9757 if you’re in Redondo Beach or the surrounding areas and would like to schedule an appointment for a consultation to see if your existing plumbing system could support a tankless water heater. We generally respond to emergency calls within an hour and we provide upfront, flat-rate pricing with no hourly rates or hidden fees. We provide special discounts for Veterans and Seniors, so make sure to let us know if you’re currently enlisted or a Veteran, or if you would like to take advantage of our Senior Citizen discount.